Tac Ops: Assault on Terror is a counter-terrorism first person shooter (FPS) powered by the Unreal Engine, published by Microprose. It began its life as a mod for the popular FPS, Unreal Tournament, created by a team of video game fans from all over the world who simply worked on it for the love of the game. Originally known as SWAT, then Tactical Ops, and now Tac Ops: Assault on Terror, the project began in late 1999, and its first release, Beta 1 was released freely over the Internet in June of 2000. Tac Ops: Assault on Terror is designed to be sold in stores, and also be freely distributed to all players of Unreal Tournament, downloaded as a seperate patch.
* Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror is a team-based, semi-realistic counter-terrorism game in which gamers choose to play as a member of Special Forces or as a Terrorist. Teams are thrust into high-octane counter-terrorism scenarios that include rescuing hostages, capturing hideouts and defending vessels, depending on the side the player chooses. The game features an engaging single-player campaign as well as a robust online and LAN multiplayer experience, courtesy of the Unreal engine.
* You are a member of the elite Special
* An arsenal of devastating real-world weaponry is at the players' disposal, including pistols, sub-machine guns, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles and grenade launchers.
* To complete a round, one team must accomplish their objectives or eliminate every member of the opposing team. Between rounds, surviving players are awarded cash for eliminating enemies, rescuing hostages and discovering evidence. Money allows team members to buy new weapons, armour, explosives and high-tech military gadgetry before the next round begins. Money is deducted if hostages are killed or if players eliminate teammates.
* Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror features 18 highly detailed maps, including the most popular levels from the current, downloadable "Beta" version of the game, as well as several completely new and exclusive areas designed specifically for the retail release of the game. Mission locations have been created to look hyper-realistic and offer great variety, from the vast barren deserts of the Middle East to the deep snows of the Antarctic and from towering hydro-electric plants to crowded urban cityscapes of the United States.